So my husband and I have a food disagreement. I LOVE fish, and he does not care for it – mainly due to its texture. So I found this fabulous recipe in Women’s Day Magazine. Well guess what, it was a hit! The Baked Lay’s that are used to coat the fish give it a nice crunchy texture leaving your taste buds asking for more. He even went for seconds!
Here’s the recipe, I did swap out a few things to make the smashed potatoes a bit healthier and more protein packed.
1 1/2 lb red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut in 1-in. chunks
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup milk (I prefer skim milk, then thicken it with Greek Yogurt) – add more as needed if potatoes are too thick
3/4 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 large egg
1-lb flounder or sole fillets, cut in 1-in. wide strips
1 1/4 cups crushed baked potato chips
3/4 tsp each paprika and salt
1/2 cup tartar sauce
3/4 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut up
Ok – now lets begin!
1. Heat oven at 450 degrees. Set a wire rack on a foil-lined (for easy cleanup) rimmed baking sheet; coat rack with nonstick spray.
2. Cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain; return to pot and mash with a potato masher. Add cheese; stir until melted. Add milk, Greek Yogurt, scallions, salt and pepper; stir to blend. Cover to keep hot.
3. While potatoes cook, beat egg in a bowl until foamy. Add fish strips; toss to coat. In another bowl, mix crushed chips, paprika and salt. Put a few fish strips at a time into chip mixture. Using a fork, toss strips to coat. Place on prepared rack.
4. Bake 10 minutes, or until coating is crisp and fish is cooked through. With a broad spatula, transfer fish to a platter.
5. Mix tartar sauce and tomatoes. Serve with the fish.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as I did! It’s easy to make and takes about 35 minutes. Bon Appetite!